It occurred to me that there are a couple of things that I use for almost every piece of jewelry I make, and with these basics I can make almost anything I want out of some beads and cord. So I thought I would introduce them to you so you can see what I always have on hand.
- Round Nose Pliers – With these I can make my own jump rump rings, eye-pins and finish off pendants.
- Needle Nose Pliers – These make perfect bends in wire, open jump rings, and clamp down and crimp beads.
- Crimp Beads – Sometimes I use crimp beads when I want an inexpensive metal bead, but they are also essential in attaching clasps and finishing pieces.
- Jump Rings – Jump rings are the links to connect all the different pieces. You can also use them to make your own chain.
- Clasp – You want to be able to take the piece on and off don’t you?
If you have those five things you can take any bead or braided cord and create a necklace or bracelet.
- Wire – Bonus points for this one. If you have wire you can use it with your pliers to make clasps, jump rings, eye pins and pendents.
Those are the basics and they are pretty inexpensive to keep on hand. Did I miss anything?