I’ve been thinking a lot about what actually helps me feel happier when I am having a hard time. Mostly I’ve been working on improving my energy levels like I mentioned last week and I think the what I really need to do is get my workload under control. Until then, it really doesn’t matter how much green juice I chug or how positive my attitude is, the first step is really knowing my limits and setting boundaries. I’ve figured out my limits on how much work I really can do, now I need to go about setting those boundaries.
In the mean time, while I am still feeling really stressed out at work I’ve found a couple of things (many of them are thanks to you guys) that help improve my mood and energy level.
- Lifting others, lifts me. Taking time out of my day to do something nice for a friend or coworker or stranger really lifts my mood. The busier I am, the more it helps.
- Dance while you get dressed. This one comes from the lovely fashion icon Anna Dello Russo and her video for her new H&M collab where she writhes around saying “You need a fashion shower.” One of her fashion rules is “Dance while you dress, fashion loves music.” Well so does your mood! Do it. I’m not sure why I needed her to tell me to but thank you ADR!
- Wear at least one crazy-ass piece of jewelry a day. This might not work for everyone. But if you know me, you know I love quirky jewelry. Nothing makes me smile like seeing a huge eye-ball while I type.
- Coloring books relieve stress. Thank you to MisssRobin for suggesting this! It really is therapeutic.
- Sleep. This one is from the queen of happiness herself, Gretchen. I have been going to bed as early as 9:30 pm. This is unheard of for me. I haven’t seen a huge improvement in my energy level, but I feel at least I am learning to listen to my body.